No-Peek Stew Recipe – submitted by Sonia W.
Yields: Makes: 6-8 servings
about 2 lbs of stew meat (or arm roast, cut-up in about 1 inch chunks)
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut up into about 1-inch chunks
3 large carrots, peeled and cut up into about 1-inch chunks
1 large onion, cut up into about 1-inch chunks
black pepper, to your preference
1 15-oz can of green beans
1 15-oz can of tomato soup (or 2 cups jarred marinara sauce)
1 15-oz can of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken or celery works)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Add stew meat, potatoes, carrots, and onions. Season with a little pepper and toss together.
Dump the can of green beans, liquid and all, over the top of meat and vegetables.
Lastly, pour the tomato soup (or marinara) and cream of mushroom soup over the top. Gently combine with a spoon if you want but not necessary.
Tightly cover with foil. Place casserole dish on a cookie sheet with sides, in case of overflow. Bake at 275 degrees for 5 hours. Don’t peek! (I did mine is a crock pot on low for 8 hours)
Burrito Pie – Submitted by Chantelle G.
2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (2 ounce) can black olives, sliced
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 (16 ounce) cans refried beans (organic or one with no trans fat, preservatives, or additives)
12 (8 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
1 (16 ounce) jar red enchilada sauce (organic or one with no preservatives or additives)
12 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until onions are translucent (about 5 more minutes). Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. While meat mixture simmers, spread a thin layer of refried beans on one side of each tortilla. Set aside.
4. In the bottom of the casserole dish(es), spread a thin layer of the meat mixture. Cover with a layer of tortillas that have been smeared with the refried beans, followed by more meat mixture, and then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla with refried beans, meat, and cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used up. Topping off the casserole with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. If from frozen sherecomends 45-60 min covered in tinfoil, 15 min without tinfoil.
Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole – submitted by Susan B.
Add this recipe to ZipList!Serves 8
2 cups long grain brown rice
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
2 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1lb chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
salt, pepper, garlic powder
5 teaspoons flour
2 cups milk, divided (I used 1%)
1/3 cup light sour cream
8oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cover then turn heat down to medium-low. When rice has 5 minutes left to cook add broccoli and green onions on top to steam.
- Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then sauté until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside then very carefully wipe out skillet with a dry paper towel.
- Turn heat down to medium then whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl. Pour mixture into skillet then add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat then add 3/4 of the shredded cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir until smooth.
- Preheat broiler. Combine cooked rice and broccoli mixture with cheese sauce then scoop mixture into a nonstick sprayed 9×13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted then let casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Chicken Fajitas – submitted by Jess L.
1 rotisserie chicken (debone)
2 Bell Peppers- sliced
1 lg onion- sliced
garlic salt, oil, and salt to taste
Heat large skillet add oil, saute peepers and onions until done to your likeness season with garlic and salt. Add chicken to heat through. I add no other spices, I love the flavor of the peppers and onions mixed with the rotisserie chicken! YUMMY, try it this was I bet you will love it.
Use tortilla’s, lettuce wraps, or serve over lettuce with sour cream and salsa for an amazing fajita salad. Top as you would like.
I just thaw overnight before cooking.
HEALTHY MEXICAN CASSEROLE WITH ROASTED CORN AND PEPPERS – submitted by Mara O.
2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
1 jalapeno or 2 chipotle peppers (optional – just for more kick) I left it out for MN tastebuds.
½ red onion
2 cups frozen corn
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon is a good ballpark measure)
2 cups Mexican cheese (mine was a Sargento blend)
18-20 corn tortillas
1 can refried beans
2 cups red enchilada sauce
I added ground turkey. If your husband is anything like mine, we can’t have meatless meals. I mixed the cooked ground turkey with the beans.
cilantro, guacamole, or sour cream for topping
Roast the veggies: Dice the peppers and mince the onions. Heat a large nonstick skillet with NO oil over high heat. Add the onion and peppers, sprinkle with chili and cumin, and do not stir. This allows the peppers to roast and brown on the outside. After a few minutes, give the pan a shake or stir and let the peppers sit again for a few more minutes without stirring. Remove and set aside. Repeat the roasting process with the corn, sprinkling with chili and cumin, removing from the heat when browned and roasted on the outside. Sprinkle the roasted veggies with a little bit of salt and toss to coat.
Prep the ingredients: Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Put the refried beans in a bowl and mix with a little bit of water to make them easier to spread.